photo aztec-mess_zps0a762b67.png

Wednesday 20 February 2013

All About Lip Balms...

Hello everyone! I thought today I'd write up an informative review on multiple different brands of lip balms out there and which ones worked for me and which didn't. Keep in mind, my lips are like the desert (aka dryer than most) and therefore some that did not work for me might in fact work for you. It all depends on the state of your lips :).


I've done a lot of experimenting during the past few months and I have come to these conclusions...

(left to right)
1. Burt's Bees: These are pretty popular. Personally, I don't love them, nor do I hate them. They do work though not right away and nor do the effects last that long. The texture is smooth, not waxy which is a big plus for me. They are also organic which is important to some individuals and come in different flavours. I give them a 3.5/5.

2.  Blistex: I really don't like the texture. It feels like you're trying to smother wax all over your lips, not smooth at all. It does moisturize your lips but only after hours of sitting on your lips. I give Blistex a 2/5 only because it does eventually make your lips soft and the flavours are fruity and pleasant.

3. Caramex: I was initially in love with this balm. It absorbs very quickly and left my lips feeling soft, though not for very long. Taste is rather unpleasant (medicinal) and tingles the lips. However, with time I noticed my lips were getting dryer and dryer. I was a bit confused until finally I did some research and realized that it contained Menthol, Camphor, and Phenol. These ingredients actually dry out your lips! Not impressed at all. 0/5 for Caramex!

4. EOS: Known for the extremely cute packaging, but they're also a pretty decent balm! I've done a whole review on them before but I shall repeat myself when I say they are very moisturizing and do the job quickly enough. Though one does need to keep reapplying in order to maintain the softness of your lips. They come in multiple flavours and are all delicious! 4/5.

5. Lip Smackers: These are my holy grail of lip balms. I always end up coming back to them and asking myself why I ever decided to try something else. They work instantly! They sink in deeper than any other lip balm out there and the effect lasts for ages! I simply don't recognize my lips when I use this, they just feel soft and light as a cloud. They're probably the cheapest lip balm on the market as far as I know, and come in several different fruity flavours. The texture is also unbeatable, very creamy and smooth. I highly recommend these to anyone who wants instant moisturized soft lips! 5/5.

6. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment: There's A LOT of hype over these rather expensive (around $28) 'lip treatments' by Fresh. Some love them, some don't. Personally, they just don't work for me. I received two mini sizes from Sephora as a birthday treat, one in the shade 'Rose' and the other with no color. Both did nothing for me. Not moisturizing in the slightest, they just sort of sit on your lips and feel slightly waxy. The only nice thing I can say is that the tinted one gives off a nice light shade to my lips and protects them from the sun with an SPF of 15. I think these are decent products if they were to be labeled as lip tints, but not as lip 'treatments'. However, I don't know if they're worth the price. 3/5.


So there you have it! Of course, the overall winner for me are the Lip Smackers. Affordable and work brilliantly.

What are your holy grail lip balms? :)


3 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you on the Carmex, I initially liked it, but it turned out to be drying. I'm surprised you think so highly of the EOS because I'm really not a fan, I find it way too waxy! I absolutely LOVE the fresh lip conditioners but they are so expensive. Still searching for that holy grail lip balm... might take the plunge with this Dior one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have that vanilla lip smacker! But I think carmex is amazing for chapped lips.

    http://heydahye.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the eos's :D I dont remember lip smacker working very well for me but that was in grade 5.. maybe will give it another shot :p

    ReplyDelete